Choose Your Adventure #1: SummerFEST!
CHOOSE YOUR ADVENTURE
Saturday, July 8 at Fort Steilacoom in Lakewood, WA
Meet Director: Patrick Nuss
The Choose Your Adventure series is designed to be extra fun, social, and friendly for beginners, yet interesting for seasoned veterans.
At Choose Your Adventure events, everyone gets the same map with checkpoints marked all over it. Find as many checkpoints as you want, in whichever order you want!
Choose Your Adventure is especially good for beginners, since if you can’t find a checkpoint, you can just skip it and keep going. Veterans are challenged by trying to identify the most efficient route to find all the checkpoints.
Come join the fun!
Course designer(s): Patrick Nuss
There will be two options this year!
- There is a one-size-fits-all course for beginners through advanced runners. Everyone will receive one map with 24 checkpoints scattered throughout Fort Steilacoom Park, and you may visit as many or as few as you want, in any order you want! There’s a time limit of 75 minutes, and there will be two different start times: 1:00pm and 4:00pm.
- There’s a FREE orienteering demo course, which will feature a small map with 6 checkpoints to visit. Get ’em all and we’ll stamp your SummerFEST “Passport to Sports”, which you can pick up for free at the SummerFEST headquarters tent. Receive passport stamps at each of the sports activities, which enter you for raffle prizes! There is no time limit.
How does the scoring work?
All checkpoints are worth the same amount: 1 point per checkpoint.
For the full Choose Your Adventure course, the maximum score is 24 points. There’s a time limit of 75 minutes, and for every minute late, there’s a 1 point penalty.
For the FREE orienteering demo course, you’ll need 6 points to have your “Passport to Sports” stamped. There is no time limit.
SummerFEST activities will be going on all day at the park! There’s a LOT of stuff going on, including a triathlon, 5k & 10k trail runs, a car show, yoga, live music, food trucks, dog contests, trapeze & trampoline shows, an international festival, children’s activities, sports, a movie on the big screen, and more! Check the link for a detailed schedule!
Orienteering Schedule: (look for our tent at the west end of the soccer fields)
- For the official Choose Your Adventure event (24 checkpoints), there will be two mass starts to choose from:
1:00pm (time limit ends at 2:15pm)
4:00pm (time limit ends at 5:15pm)
- For the FREE orienteering demo for “Passport to Sports” (6 checkpoints), you may start anytime you wish between 11:00am – 05:00pm. The course will close at 6:00pm. We’ll also have free beginner instruction available from 11:00am – 05:00pm.
$12 base price
– subtract $5 for CascadeOC members
$20 base price
– subtract $5 for CascadeOC members
Become a member for $5-20
This event will feature old-school paper punching, no electronic scoring.
Online pre-registration closes:
Day-of-event registration is available by cash or check, made payable to Cascade Orienteering Club
Volunteers make these events happen! You can volunteer and participate on the same day, plus earn volunteer points to earn a free meet.
SummerFEST is a big event drawing thousands of people. There will be parking in the parking lots and fields in the park. Enter the park from the northeast corner (Steilacoom Blvd & 87th Ave) and follow signage to SummerFEST parking. There is no specific parking for orienteers, and we won’t have our usual signage in the park.
Look for our tent on the west end of the soccer fields!
Looking for a carpool? Join the Yahoo listserv and share your request to find a ride.
While Fort Steilacoom is not rugged or remote, it can be fairly challenging for a city park. There are many criss-crossing trails here, both in open grass and in forest. However, there are also many distinct features such as buildings, roads, ballfields, and a small lake, that are great navigational aids.
Part of the park is very flat, while part of the park is quite steep. How steep your course is depends on which course you choose and how nice the course designer decided to be.Read more on the map page
SAFETY & ETIQUETTE
Return to the Finish
All participants MUST return to the finish and download their e-punch or turn in their punch card.
Even if you have not finished your course, you must still return to the the finish and confirm with event staff that you have returned safely.
Out of Bounds
Some areas may be marked out of bounds. It is imperative to respect these boundaries to maintain our relationships with land managers. Participants MUST NOT go out of bounds. Any participant caught going out of bounds will be disqualified.
All participants MUST return to the finish by course closure time. If a participant does not return by course closure, event volunteers will begin coordinating a search party.
If you need a long time on the course, start as early in the start window as possible, wear a watch, and be prepared to cut your course short to make it back by the course closure time.
All participants MUST carry a whistle on the course. Complimentary whistles are available at the start tent (please only take one).
If you are injured on the course and need assistance, blow three long blasts to call for help.
If you hear a call for help, abandon your course to find the person in distress.
Part of the fun and fairness of orienteering is navigating your own course, so please be polite when you find a checkpoint and don’t holler that you’ve found it.